Episode 73 – Ten reasons that will make you start a health and fitness program!
It takes a profound realization of the heart to make big changes in your life.
Scrolling through pages of Instagram models, thinking that one day you’ll start working towards healthier habits, hardly ever puts enough fire in your belly for action. It takes something at a much more personal level to install new thought patterns and habits.
Events that touch you at a deep emotional level, hold enough power to be life changing.
Many people that struggled for years being incredibly overweight or unhealthy – who have battled their demons and taken control of their health – all have common reasons why they had to make changes in their lifestyle. They made a bold choice to become stronger AND had a deep desire to be healthier or improve their overall shape and size.
Let’s discuss 10 reasons that will make you start a health and fitness program!
Fatigue is a common reason why you may choose a healthier path in life. Particularly, one of these three:
- If it seems no matter how many times you hit snooze on the alarm clock, you just can’t get rid of your tiredness, then it could create a breaking point for change.
- If you quickly lose energy when playing with your kids.
- If you feel you need a coffee or sugar hit just to keep up, this can be another strong reason to improve your lifestyle. Simple daily tasks shouldn’t be a struggle.
Life can be fast-paced and as you create daily routines, filling your spare moments with more and more to-do’s, it can become overwhelming and create a lot of fatigue. If this is you, then you need to start your health and fitness program!
Old photo albums
This can be a weak point for many people as they gaze at old photographs of themselves, reminiscing about how much energy they had for life or even how they looked physically. This can trigger a deep realization that you don’t look as vibrant as you used to. It can also bring about thoughts of change like “I better start looking after myself.” If this is you, then you need to start your health and fitness program!
Turning a particular age can also trigger the same thoughts, especially round numbers like the big 30, 40 or 50! If your birthday is looming and this seems like you, then you need to make the rest of your life, the best of your life! Start your health and fitness program!
Death or illness in the family
When you personally experience the loss of a close friend, family member or someone in your community, it can hit you hard and create a lot of personal shock. This can be particularly significant if the death of a family member was related to a hereditary condition, or disease that has already shown up as symptoms in your own health status. If this has happened to you, please start to look after yourself and consider starting a health and fitness program.
Want 6 more reasons to start a health and fitness program? Read on below.
Visiting the doctor
It can also hit hard when your doctor says you are at high risk of disease or need to be placed on medication. You realise you’re much too young to leave this earth and will create drastic changes quite quickly. Another real reason to start your health and fitness program!
The rise in social media photos and selfies
These days everyone is on social media, taking selfies, posting their best photos, etc. It’s easy to see the desire to look good in all your photos, filter or no filter, can create enough movement for change.
Have you ever been tagged in an “all too honest” photo of you at a recent social gather or event? This can make you realize you don’t look like the same person you think you are! If this is you, then you need to get back to your best! Start your health and fitness program!
You can’t fit into your favourite outfit anymore
Just about everyone has an outfit that boosts their confidence given how many compliments and positive feedback they’ve had from others when wearing it. The material feels amazing next to your skin, the cut is just perfect for your body type and it seems to compliment your favourite features. When you realize you simply can’t fit into that outfit anymore, you all of a sudden realize that you need to get on top of your health. If this is you, then you should start your health and fitness program!
An awkward event
Humiliation or embarrassment can be difficult emotions to process and can scar for life. I’m sure the harsh words of your primary school bully still come to your mind from time to time
If you’ve had a recent accident or awkward moment, (especially in the public eye) such as bumping something off a table with your hip, or not keeping up in a sport because your unfit this can force you to make positive changes in your lifestyle. It’s odd the words and events that stick with us forever that can be a spark for transformation!
Challenges and Bets!
Personal bets and challenges from respected peers or for financial reward can be a good trigger for a health and fitness transformation. Maybe it’s time to back yourself as a winner and take on a bet or personal challenge. Traditionally biggest loser type challenges are popular but to make it sustainable, these types of challenges and bets need to be ongoing and linked to a higher purpose.
Desire only the best!
The desire to win a championship, competition or simply to be better in life will drive you to change. What’s your desire for the future?
Start a health and fitness program!
These are just some of the reasons why you might want to start making progress into your health and fitness journey. For some, it may be subtler events in life, but generally speaking, it is the much larger events that have a broader and more lasting impact.
Desire only the best, take on challenges and bets, savour an awkward event, fit back into your favourite outfit, realize you don’t look like the same person you think you are, visit the doctor, reflect on the meaning of a death or illness in the family for your own health and fitness, don’t get too old too quick, look at some old photo albums and beat fatigue NOW!
Get your life back! It’s time to make the rest of your life the best of your life. Start a health and fitness program today!
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
You can listen to an audio link here
- Afremow, J. (2013) The Champion’s Mind. Rodale
- Burke, L. Deakin, V (2005) Clinical Sports Nutrition (2nd Ed.) McGraw-Hill
- Chek, P. (2009) How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!
- Chopra, D. (1995) Boundless Energy: The complete Mind/Body Program for Overcoming Chronic Fatigue. Three Rivers Press
- Cosgrove, F. (2007) Coach Yourself to Wellness: Living the Intentional Life. Messenger Publishing.
- De Bono, E. (1999) New Thinking for the New Millennium. Penguin
- De Bono, E. (2008) Six Frames for thinking about information. Vermilion London
- Duhigg, C. (2012) The Power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and business. Random House
- Hill, N. (2004) Think and Grow Rich: The 21st Century Edition. Manjul Publishing House
- Hill, N. (2008) The law of success – Complete. BN Publishing
- Kahneman, D (2011) Thinking, fast and slow. Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- Kausman, R. (2004). If not dieting, then what? Allen & Unwin
- Levitin, D. (2014) The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload. Plume Printing
- Mahan, L. Escott-Stump, S. (2004) Krause’s Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy (11th Ed.) Saunders
- O’Connor, J. Seymour, J. (1990) Introducing NLP: Psychological skills for understanding and influencing people. Thorsons
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness. International Athlete, Elite Performance Manager for the Philippine Volcanoes rugby teams, qualified Dietitian / Nutritionist and qualified educator. Chris Everingham combines more than 10 years of experience and education together to deliver the best strategies to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.