Episode 81 – Six ways yoga can improve your life
Episode 81 – Six ways yoga can improve your life
I love yoga.
I wish someone had introduced me to yoga when I was younger.
Below are 6 ways yoga can improve your life.
Yoga means “union” and refers to the relationship between body and mind. Yoga classes focus on the present moment to clear the mind. This allows us to relax, combat stress and anxiety by letting go of worries. When you feel stressed or anxious, use yoga to help de-stress and relax.
Strengthening & balance:
Many of the more advanced poses activate several muscle groups at once, while balance poses require great upper body and core strength. Yoga will help build and tone lean muscles and burn fat just like any other fitness routine. Yoga incorporates tons of balance postures, from standing on one leg to headstands to balancing on one hand. Thus your stability will, without a doubt, be challenged.
Yoga also encourages balance in other aspects of your life as well. Besides bringing mental clarity to help deal with the balance of stress, yoga can physically balance your hormones by bringing your endocrine system into equilibrium. Certain relaxing poses like child’s pose can even help reduce the release of cortisol, the “obesity-causing” stress hormone.
This may seem like a no-brainer, but the stretches in postures incorporated in yoga will lead to much improved flexibility. Flexibility is proven to minimize the risk of injury and to improve aerobic training in athletes of all sports.
As we age, our flexibility is one of the first things to deteriorate if we do not constantly work on it. Fitting in several yoga or stretching sessions a week will help keep your muscles and joints in good working condition.
3 other ways yoga can improve your life are below. Read on!
Yoga can build confidence through self-awareness. Yoga is non-competitive by nature, so the only opponent you have is yourself. By testing your own bodily limits and boundaries, you really get to know what you are capable of, and you can watch yourself improve and exceed goals over time. Seeing these improvements in yourself naturally increases self-confidence, which we all know is a key to success and happiness.
Patience & Focus:
To master some of the more difficult yoga poses, you’ll have to work on your patience. Patience will allow you to stay calm and collected whenever you’re facing a challenge and will help you focus on the present. Thinking about the past and future will often cause you to have distractions when working on something important. However, by completely focusing on what you’re currently doing, you’ll improve your concentration, problem-solving skills, and memory.
Better Weight Management:
Even the less vigorous kinds of yoga can help us control our weight by eliminating calories and stress out of the body and reduce cortisol levels which are the cause of stress. Yoga also helps us increase self-esteem and encourages healthy eating habits
Yoga can improve your life!
I hope you enjoyed my 6 ways yoga can improve your life.
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
Thank you to Aral Tasher for the photo
- Afremow, J. (2013) The Champion’s Mind. Rodale
- Corbett, B. Coleman, J. (2006) The Sherpa guide: Process Driven Executive Coaching. Thomson
- Cosgrove, F. (2007) Coach Yourself to Wellness: Living the Intentional Life. Messenger Publishing.
- De Bono, E. (2007) Tactics: The Art and Science of Success. Profile Books
- Duhigg, C. (2012) The Power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and business. Random House
- Emoto, M. (2007) The Shape of Love: Discovering who we are, Where we came from and where we’re going. Doubleday
- Haanel, C. (2007) The Master Key system. Tarcher-Penguin
- Hill, N. (2004) Think and Grow Rich: The 21st Century Edition. Manjul Publishing House
- Hill, N. (2008) The law of success – Complete. BN Publishing
- Levitin, D. (2014) The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload. Plume Printing
- Maxwell, J. (2004) Today Matters: 12 daily practices to guarantee tomorrow’s success. Center Street
- Maxwell, J. (2012) The 15 invaluable laws of growth: Live them and reach your potential. Center Street
- Mumford, G. (2016) The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance. Parallax Press
- McKeown, G. (2014) Essentialism: The disciplined pursuit of less. Crown Business.
- Waitzkin, J. (2007) The Art of Learning: an inner journey to optimal performance. Free Press
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.