Episode 139 – Do you really know how to use nutrition supplements?
Today’s #AskEvro show question of the day is: “Do you really know how to use nutrition supplements?”
Supplementation – beyond normal
Supplements are quite useful in supplementing your diet, particularly for athletes and people that are pushing themselves or trying to perform at the next level.
There are hundreds of different supplements on the market today but they can basically be categorised into their functionality around training as below:
- Pre-workout supplements
These are nutrition supplements you take before a workout or training session to help enhance the mental and physical components of your training by activating the muscular or nervous systems or even supplying nutrients in surplus so that exercise can be performed above “normal”. While traditionally it was creatine or caffeine, there are others such as nitrogen based supplements, or even raw amino acids such as L-Arginine, Beta-alanine, theanine, taurine and many others that fall under the pre workout category.
- Intra workout supplements
Intra workout supplements are nutrients that act in a similar fashion to the pre workout supplements in that they supply nutrients in surplus so that exercise can continue to be performed at the same level for extended periods. While this historically started with water and electrolyte sports drinks it has now expanded into excess BCAA supply, high doses of Vitamin C and many others.
Use nutrition supplements? Read on below.
- Post workout supplements
Post workout supplements have been around the longest. One of the most popular is whey protein. Whey protein is basically a food or nutrition supplement that supplies the body with additional protein. While traditionally in liquid form, there is also high protein bars, pancake mix and many other forms now available.
- Recovery supplements
Recovery supplements enhance the recovery process – particularly sleep. Supplements such as melatonin and ZMA fit into this category. While there is mixed evidence on these supplements it really comes down to how you respond to them as an individual.
- Essential or additional nutrition supplement
Multi-vitamins, omega-3 oils such as fish and flaxseed oils as well as vitamin D supplements all fit into this category. These are supplements the body needs and will benefit from above and beyond the normal nutrition supply.
Food or Supplements?
It is best to optimize food and real nutrition first and then consider adding in supplements second. After all, your ancestors evolved on food for thousands of years.
Here are some tips on how to optimise your nutrition and nutrition supplements:
1. Get your food balanced amongst key food groups such as fruits, vegetables and protein sources to make sure that this is optimized and installed properly in your daily healthy habits.
2 The next level is to look at adding in the essential or additional nutrition supplements into your diet such as multivitamins, omega-3s and vitamin D.
3. Then once the second level is consistent, let’s have a look at your pre workout, intra workout and post workout nutrition supplements. What you start with will depend on your finances, goals and priorities.
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
Photo by Daily Nouri on Unsplash
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.