Episode 153 – Before you eat fresh foods, watch this
Q: Does freezing food affect the quality of the nutrients?
There is merit to buying snap-frozen food such as frozen fruit or frozen vegetables because the preservation of the nutrients in these food items is a lot better than so called, “fresh” produce in the grocery store.
Wait, hear me out!
When snap-frozen food is delivered to you it is still theoretically “fresh” off the tree (as the plant metabolism is slowed down or even halted once frozen) and in that way there are more nutrients retained within the food for longer.
And yes, there’s some science to back that up as well.
On the other side if it’s “fresh” (non frozen) this is what usually happens before you consume it:
First it’s taken directly from the tree and stored in a farm warehouse for a few days before it’s sorted and transported on a logistics truck from the countryside to where you are – most probably in a city and sometimes in another country!
It’s then put in the fruit and vegetable section of the shopping centre for a few more days before you purchase it…
THEN put it in your fridge – yet again for a few more days…before you finally eat it.
Unsure about frozen vegetables or frozen fruit? Read on below.
Sometimes this entire process is like three weeks or four weeks (or more) from the tree to you actually consuming it.
So yeah, what do you think is happening to the nutrient quality of your food from tree to stomach?
It is aging and disintegrating rapidly and, therefore the theoretical nutritional value of your food is in all practicality no where near what you think.
It’s a very interesting topic but think about how much nutrient reduction happens with so called, “fresh foods.”
Moreover, it’s also a strong argument to not only
1. Buy local and in-season fruits and vegetables (and other produce)
2. Ultimately grow your own garden
3. AND yes, if you have to – buy snap frozen vegetables and frozen fruits.
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
Photo by leonie wise on Unsplash
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.