Episode 10: Nutrition Supplement Essentials
Episode 10 – Nutrition Supplement Essentials
Do you know which supplements to take?
In this article let’s talk about four nutrition supplement essentials that may complement your diet and keep your body and mind on track in your health and fitness journey.
First off, what are supplements?
Nutrition supplements complement (or supplement) your already healthy diet. Nutrition starts with food first, and once you have that under control AND consistent, you can then go on to consider supplements – there are no shortcuts to success!
You need vitamins and minerals to function properly. Vitamins and minerals are found in whole foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains, as well as dairy and meats. Normally you can get enough vitamins and minerals from healthy eating.
However, there will be some days where you won’t be able to properly execute your healthy meal plan. This is where multivitamins come in. Multivitamins act like an insurance policy for your vitamin and mineral intake, making sure your body receives all it needs for peak performance in all your daily activities.
So if you find yourself in situations where the right foods aren’t available in adequate amounts at home due to missing a shopping day, you’re too busy and just can’t fit in in your schedule, or there may be an emergency that arises – multivitamins have you covered.
2. Omega-3 Tablets
Most fish contain wonderful essential fatty acids you need for proper brain, heart and body cell function. While it is ideal to eat fish on a regular (or bi- or tri-weekly) basis, sometimes this can be logistically difficult. Other times it may go against your beliefs (in the case of vegetarianism or saving the planet).
Fish oil tablets will help supplement your fish intake by providing essential omega-3 fatty acids such as, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and other polyunsaturated fats into your diet which significantly help reduce the risk of heart disease later in life through improving blood cholesterol levels.
What are the other two nutrition supplement essentials to try? Read on!
3. Casein Protein
Protein is needed for repair and recovery in the body.
It’s the building block of muscles, bones and organs. Casein is a slow-release protein. This feature may be useful to release protein into your body over a long period of time. This makes it a really good way to meet your protein needs and is especially useful for people who are looking to bulk up or even to keep lean muscles.
If you can’t have casein, whey protein is fine! The main difference between these two types of protein is that, whey protein has a faster absorption rate into the body.
4. Vitamin D
Vitamin D is essential for all cells in the body as well as calcium regulation in the blood and bones. Normally vitamin D is absorbed or produced on the skin when you’re exposed to sunlight for around 15-60 minutes.
BUT! The catch is you need to be in direct sunlight between 11am and 2-3 pm (and in the summer months and in the right geographic location on the planet!!). With most people being either office workers or students – and living in winter 6 months of the year – you’re likely to be stuck in a situation where you have insufficient vitamin D levels.
Vitamin D supplements will support what you’re producing naturally to maintain your health, immunity and also for regulation of calcium in your body.
Start your Supplements
There is a myriad of other supplements but I’ve identified these four nutrition supplement essentials because they address common and scientifically backed health needs in your life. Take these to give your body everything it needs to effectively perform your everyday roles as well as optimally grow, and recover – without the worry of missing out.
To summarize the tips again, here are the top four (4) tips to keep in mind:
Tip #1. Multivitamins
Tip #2. Take omega-3 soft gels
Tip #3. Add casein protein to your diet
Tip #4. Vitamin D
Need some tips on what to cook and prepare?!
- Check out my Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- I also have 5 key nutrition habits detailed in my First Five Fitness program Nutrition Habits book. This will keep you the natural nutrients you need to supplement your diet. Click here.
- Otherwise, send me a message and I can give you a nutrition and dietetics consultation here.
Feel free to watch the video
- Maxwell, J. (2012) The 15 invaluable laws of growth: Live them and reach your potential. Center Street
- Duhigg, C. (2012) The Power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and business. Random House
- Gropper, S., Smith, J., Groff, J. (2005) Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (4th Ed.), Thomson Wadsworth
- Vitamin D: A D-lightful story for good health. Dr. Michael F. Holick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lRtx-4_FO Accessed: 25 January 2016
- Dr. Michael Holick – Vitamin D: Sun or Supplement? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxSM0rE0WY Accessed: 25 January 2016
- Malcolm Gladwell on the 10,000 hour Rule https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS5EsTc_-2Q Accessed: 25 January 2016
- Robert Greene: “Mastery” | Talks at Google. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4v_34RRCeE Accessed: 25 January 2016
- HOW TO BE PRODUCTIVE – THE 80/20 PRINCIPLE BY RICHARD KOCH ANIMATED BOOK REVIEW – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28B_xOJzK4 Accessed: 25 January 2016
- Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand – https://www.nrv.gov.au/node/42 Accessed: 25 January 2016
- Hoppe, C. et al. (2008) The Use of Whey or Skimmed Milk Powder in Fortified Blended Foods for Vulnerable Groups: A Literature Review. J Nutrition. Accessed: https://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/1/145S.full.pdf+html
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness. International Athlete, Elite Performance Manager for the Philippine Volcanoes rugby teams, qualified Dietitian / Nutritionist and qualified educator. Chris Everingham combines more than 10 years of experience and education together to deliver the best strategies to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.