Episode 50 – The Top 7 Times Of The Day To Drink Water And Why
Let’s fix up your hydration habits!
Below are the top seven times of the day to drink water and why you need to start doing this immediately. It’s good for you!
If you don’t, you’ve been warned!
1. Drink water first thing in the morning.
Metabolic activity happens during sleep and you need to clear the toxins and by-products from your brain and body. Do this to speed up your morning without the need for caffeine.
2. Drink water before meals.
This will make the body feel fuller and will help you not to overeat. It will also help to activate the digestive system facilitating your energy supply. If you don’t you’ll feel sluggish.
3. Drink water first when feeling hungry.
Often, the body mistakes thirst for hunger. This will lessen unnecessary snacking and eating anytime of the day. Less snacking, less guilt.
When else should we drink water and why? Read on.
4. Drink water before, during and after workout.
You lose a lot of water during physical activity due to both thermoregulation (regulating body temperature) and metabolism. Drinking will also help replenish electrolytes lost during sweating giving you a better chance to avoid muscle cramps.
5. Drink water when feeling sick.
More water intake is needed when you are sick. Water helps clear toxins and also helps anti-bodies move around the body to fight bacteria and neutralize viruses. Get better, quicker!
6.While doing mental work
You still need water to keep the body and brain functioning optimally. While its easy to think water’s only function is to cool you down, it actually supports metabolism as well. Without water your metabolism slows down which includes thinking speed.
7. Before, during and after physical labor, passions and hobbies
Much like exercise, you lose a lot of water during physical labor due to both thermoregulation (regulating body temperature) and metabolism. Drinking will also help replenish electrolytes lost during sweating allowing you to participate for longer – especially if it’s a hobby or passion you enjoy.
Boost your hydration now!
There you have it, seven top times of the day to drink water and why you need to start doing this immediately. Go on, It’s good for you!
- Chek, P. (2009) How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!
- Chopra, D. (1995) Boundless Energy: The complete Mind/Body Program for Overcoming Chronic Fatigue. Three Rivers Press
- Germov, J., Williams, L. (2004) A Sociology of Food & Nutrition: The Social Appetite (2nd Ed.) Oxford.
- Gropper, S., Smith, J., Groff, J. (2005) Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (4th Ed.), Thomson Wadsworth
- Kausman, R. (2004). If not dieting, then what? Allen & Unwin
- Mahan, L. Escott-Stump, S. (2004) Krause’s Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy (11th Ed.) Saunders
- McWilliams, M. (2001) Foods: Experimental Perspectives (4th Ed.) Prentice-Hall
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness. International Athlete, Elite Performance Manager for the Philippine Volcanoes rugby teams, qualified Dietitian / Nutritionist and qualified educator. Chris Everingham combines more than 10 years of experience and education together to deliver the best strategies to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.