Episode 149 – You vs You – measure your fitness transformation
Today’s #AskEvro Show question of the day relates to personal fitness transformation and is: “How many minutes is the standard for planking (a core workout exercise)?”
A good benchmark for athletes doing prone planks is probably around 3 to 4 minutes – which is an indicator for really good core stability for most non-contact sport athletes.
To give you a quick story when we were doing our last combine trials for the Philippine Volcanoes national rugby team one of my mates actually hit well over 5 minutes for his continuous planking time, so I’d say that’s pretty good for his overall core strength and stability – but then again he’s an international athlete so a high performance result would be expected of him – that is, a different standard applies for him (and many high performance athletes) as compared to the general population.
On your personal fitness transformation? Read on below.
If you’re a regular person who works out for fun, general health and want to have an idea where you’re at in relation to the normal population – then first and foremost, the best approach would be to compare yourself to yourself.
That’s all that matters – you versus you.
All you want to do is improve yourself right?!
So, be the best version of yourself – that’s the most important thing.
And how do you do that?
Here’s some questions to ask yourself in preparation for your fitness transformation:
- How were you yesterday and how are you today?
- How were you last month as compared to this month? Or how were you 8 weeks, 12 weeks ago as compared to how you are now?
Use the above questions to help determine your baseline and then ultimately prove to yourself that you are progressing, improving and growing.
Everyday you’ll be able to see on your fitness transformation that you’re getting better and better and better – AND again, that’s the most important thing, you versus you.
(Tip: If you need a figure, most general population individuals can get about 1 min for planks).
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
Photo by Simon Hajducki on Unsplash
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness. International Athlete, Elite Performance Manager for the Philippine Volcanoes rugby teams, qualified Dietitian / Nutritionist and qualified educator. Chris Everingham combines more than 10 years of experience and education together to deliver the best strategies to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.