Episode 37 – 5 popular exercises to train your abs
Let’s be real! Everyone wants or has wanted to get a “six pack.”
It’s the epitome of a beautiful physique, the jewel of fitness crowns and the envy of many! Having an amazing mid-section does wonders for your confidence, is a symbol of fitness “success” and gives you bragging rights. But, it’s not easy to get and there are hundreds of different tips and tricks to obtain the often-allusive “six-pack” abs. Luckily, you’ve found this article because I’ve got the five most popular exercises to train your abs right here.
Do you know your midsection?
Fundamentally, the “six pack” or midsection is made up of two main parts:
- The “six pack”
This is basically the middle of the torso between the ribcage and the pelvis covering the stomach. Here you’ll typically see six muscular pockets or “washboard abs.” That’s the “six-pack.”
- The obliques or “side abdominal part”
The obliques are the side parts of the “six-pack.” These parts of the abs help to rotate the torso (with the help of the lats) from side-to-side and also aesthetically round-out the “six-pack” package to create a wonderful mid-section.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s explore 5 popular exercises to train your abs!
1.Side plank hold
These are similar to the plank hold except these are performed facing laterally.
How to do it?
Simply lie on your left side and tuck your left elbow and forearm underneath. Begin the side plank by popping up onto your elbow and your toes. Quickly form a “bridge” with your mid-section. Keep good posture and hold until finished. If this is too difficult to do, simply drop to your knees and then create the “bridge” in this position.
2.Swiss ball crunches
Swiss ball crunches are amazing! The secret is in the fact that the swiss ball allows for the extra curvature in the spine (or hyperextension) to allow for a full range of ab contraction in comparison to performing a crunch on the floor.
How to do it?
To perform a swiss ball crunch lie on the swiss ball facing the sky and place both feet on the ground to help create stability. Once you’re in a comfy position and ready, place your hands near your ears (not behind your head) and then gradually “crunch” up and move the torso towards the sky. Once at the top, slowly lower yourself down to the start position.
Check out these swiss ball weighted ab crunches exercises to train your abs
Swissball weighted ab crunch
3.Weighted Russian twists
Weighted Russian twists are another ab exercise that focus not only the mid-section but the obliques as well.
How to do it?
Simply sit on the ground, knees bend and feet flat on the floor. While holding the weights (eg. Medi ball, plate, dumbbell) in both hands, keep good posture and twist between the left and right sides until finished.
Medicine Ball – russian twist
What are two other must do exercises to train your abs? Read on below.
4.Push up to Plank Hold
I’m sure you know what a push up is! Now, let’s just add the plank hold to the exercise!
How to do it?
The Plank Hold is a simple exercise to perform. Simply get on the floor with your stomach facing the ground. Next, pop up onto your elbows and toes and create a “bridge” with your core suspended above in “mid-air”. While maintaining good planking technique, move directly into a push up position. Once ready, move back into the plank hold. Alternate between the two.
5.BOSU single arm – single leg crunch
Awesome ab and oblique exercise!
How to do it?
Simply lie down on the BOSU facing the sky. Bend your left knee and straighten the right leg. Extend the left arm straight above your head. Lift your left arm to touch your right foot in the air. Continue with this side until your reps are complete. Swap to the opposite sides.
BOSU single arm – single leg crunch
Get those abs!
It’s time to get your abs! Training your abs is easy once you have the right exercises in your program. Try out these 5 popular exercises to train your abs and you’ll be amazed at how well they focus in on building those ab muscles and core strength. Couple these with a full workout and personalised nutrition plan to accelerate your “six pack” success.
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
-adult thank you for the photo
- Chek, P. (2009) How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!
- Cooley, B. (2005) The Genius of Flexibility: The smart way to stretch and strengthen your body. Fireside
- Erhman, J. Gordon, P. Visich, P. Keteyian, S. (2003) Clinical Exercise Physiology. Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc.
- Porth, C. (2002) Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered Health States (6th Ed.) Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins
- Scientific Publishing, Ltd. (no author) (2006) Scientific Publishing’s Anatomy Chart Book. Scientific Publishing Limited
- Sherwood, L.(2004) Human Physiology: From Cells to Systems (5th Ed.) Thomson, Brooks/Cole
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.