Episode 155 – Is plastic safe for our food and drink?
Today’s question is: “Is plastic safe for our food and drink?”
This is an interesting question about safe nutrition and is quite relatable to almost everyone. For example, do you use any of the following?
- Protein shaker (especially with a metallic shaker ball)
- “Chinese” containers
- Disposal plastic utensils (forks and knives) and even plastic party plates
- Cloudy (non-see through) plastic containers and cups such as those red drinking cups
- Plastic water bottles that have been left in the sun too long.
If you use any of the above, you better read this article.
If you’re consuming foods and drinks that have been stored and / or reheated in plastic containers there is some reason for concern.
1. Hormone Hacking potential
First off, some plastics used for the above purposes have been known to be harmful to human health to the extent that these chemical by-products may have estrogen mimicking characteristics – potentially acting as a “hormone hacker” in your body – AND for men you know it’s not ideal to have too much estrogen in your body – particularly if you’re looking to build muscles and strength.
Hmm.. might be time to rethink that protein shaker….
Care about safe nutrition? Read on below.
2. Energy thief
BUT even if it’s not a hormone mimicking chemical but rather simply a toxin – that’s not good either because this may cause an immunity or inflammatory response in your body – leading to more white blood cell production by the body – a biological process that’s going to take energy away from other purposes, or functions in your body such as higher level thinking, extended mental focus, creativity, physical stamina and vitality, sexual virility, etc. in order to keep you alive (the body will prioritise lower level human instincts such as survival over higher level consciousness).
So think about those two things when you use plastics to excess.
Want to make safe nutrition habits today?
Try metal, glass and ceramic containers instead.
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
Photo by Boxed Water Is Better on Unsplash
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness. International Athlete, Elite Performance Manager for the Philippine Volcanoes rugby teams, qualified Dietitian / Nutritionist and qualified educator. Chris Everingham combines more than 10 years of experience and education together to deliver the best strategies to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.