Episode 28: Three secrets to a healthy pregnancy
Episode 28 – Three secrets to a healthy pregnancy
Being pregnant is one of the most magical things a woman can experience – you are literally growing life inside.
Miracle of life
As magical and mind-blowing as that maybe it is also incredibly hard on your body physically and mentally. Physically, your body will go through so many changes – from the skin on your stomach stretching, to the organs inside moving to make room for the little one growing inside.
While on the mental side, you will go through some tough times and be tempted by a multitude of feelings and cravings. During this time you will need to stay focused on the big picture – creating and maintaining healthy habits to nourish and endure the pregnancy period.
Not only that, every day your baby is growing – from brain development to their tiny fingers and toes – it is all happening inside of you. How well this development occurs is primarily determined by the food you are eating and how you are taking care of yourself.
How to stay healthy mentally and physically throughout your pregnancy:
There are three secrets to a healthy pregnancy:
1. Get active
This can be any form of activity and will primarily depend on what fitness activities you were performing before you were pregnant. If you were not very active prior to pregnancy it’s best to chat with your doctor first.
Once medically cleared, performing cardio such as, daily short walks, prenatal yoga or light swimming are great options to consider. Similarly, if you were already quite active (eg. running or going to the gym) again chat to your doctor about the level of activity you were doing and discuss whether it will be safe to continue.
If needed, discuss how you can modify your activity level as your pregnancy progresses – generally speaking, as the pregnancy progresses, the less intense the workouts will become.
What are the two other secrets to a healthy pregnancy? Read on below.
2. Eat healthy
It is very common for women to think they need to be eating for two however this “wives tale” can be quite misleading.
This often leads to excessive weight gain. Each trimester you should increase your calorie intake as needed – which, in general terms may only mean adding a healthy snack or two into your diet.
In general, it is important to eat enough protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals to nourish your baby, while at the same time give you enough energy to get through your day – pregnancy is a demanding process and you will feel much more tired than usual.
If you find yourself craving “unhealthy” foods it is ok to indulge in them from time-to-time but, make sure you are still focused on eating food that will benefit you and your baby – not just your tastebuds.
Pregnancy is mentally tough!
Your body begins to change, the overwhelming feeling that soon you will have a tiny baby to care for and sometimes worst – the daunting idea of going through labour – can all become too much and leave you feeling sad, alone or just plain stressed. It is important to think positively throughout your pregnancy.
Simply set aside 10 minutes a day to meditate and visualise having a happy healthy pregnancy and birth. This will do wonders for your mind and soul.
Some good things to try include: listening to calming music and sounds or, even awareness of breath activities first thing in the morning will allow you to start your day on a positive note and help relieve any anxiety you may have. Remember to enjoy each moment and take it one step at a time.
Secrets to a healthy pregnancy
So there you have it, three secrets to a healthy pregnancy. Give each of them a go to see what a difference they will make. While, these tips – being active, eating healthy and meditation – are focused on the pregnancy period, it would be highly beneficial for you to continue these good habits for life. Stay safe; remember to chat with your doctor and Dietitian about what you’re doing as well!
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
-freestocks.org thank you for the photo
- Afremow, J. (2013) The Champion’s Mind. Rodale
- Burke, L. Deakin, V (2005) Clinical Sports Nutrition (2nd Ed.) McGraw-Hill
- Cosgrove, F. (2007) Coach Yourself to Wellness: Living the Intentional Life. Messenger Publishing.
- Emoto, M. (2007) The Shape of Love: Discovering who we are, Where we came from and where we’re going. Doubleday
- Erhman, J. Gordon, P. Visich, P. Keteyian, S. (2003) Clinical Exercise Physiology. Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc.
- Haanel, C. (2007) The Master Key system. Tarcher-Penguin
- Mahan, L. Escott-Stump, S. (2004) Krause’s Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy (11th Ed.) Saunders
- Maxwell, J. (2004) Today Matters: 12 daily practices to guarantee tomorrow’s success. Center Street
- Mumford, G. (2016) The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance. Parallax Press
- Shaw, V. Lawson, M. (2001) Clinical Paediatric Dietetics (2nd Ed.) Blackwell Publishing
- Sherwood, L.(2004) Human Physiology: From Cells to Systems (5th Ed.) Thomson, Brooks/Cole
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.