Episode 46 – Four Reasons Why You Should Eat With The Seasons
If you’ve ever complained about the cost of fruits and vegetables put your hand up. I get it all the time.
- “ Healthy eating is too expensive.”
- “ Fruits and vegetables cost too much! Why bother?!”
- “ One week mangoes are cheap, next thing you know they cost triple the amount!”
These are common complaints I get in my workshops and, I feel you. It can be a challenge to be healthy.
It seems too expensive. Funnily enough, it’s not.
And here’s why.
I shop for the fruits and vegetables that are in season! I know that sounds cheap, but it’s smarter! When you eat with the seasons, you can’t go wrong – you’ll save money, be healthier and wonderfully enough you’ll contribute to your community and the world we live in.
Here’s how! In this article, you’ll learn 4 reasons why you should eat with the seasons so you too can save money and be healthier. It’s time to forget about feeling helpless when it comes to health, fitness and nutrition.
4 reasons to eat with the seasons
1. It’s cheaper
Fruit and vegetable produce is generally cheaper when it is most abundant and sold in bulk, (ie. direct from the farmer or local markets). This is because of the age-old business principle: supply is greater than demand.
To take advantage, do your research.
- Find out what fruits and vegetables are in season now and focus on buying those
- Find some cool recipes to match those in-season foods.
It’s good to save money on your food bill and that’s the first reason to eat with the seasons.
2. It’s healthier
Seasonal foods picked at the peak of freshness offer better taste and higher nutritional value than out of season fruits and vegetables. This is because are they harvested when they are supposed to be – naturally. They will be tastier and fresher and, you can provide your body with a variety of important vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants, and phytochemicals (like vitamins but often better) that you need to maintain optimal health.
So, they taste better and give you better nutritional value – that’s another great reason to eat with the seasons.
What are the other two reasons to eat with the seasons? Read on below.
3. It’s more fun
One of the best ways to ensure you are able to eat fruit and vegetables at their seasonal best (if you can’t grow them yourself) is to shop at your local market. It’s a lot of fun and you can make it a regular and special occasion as well. Simply invite your friends and family out on the weekend to share in the experience.
The other side of the experience is the good old-fashioned community building you can do between the local farmers and yourself – the customer. You can have conversations directly with the growers to gain additional food knowledge – they might even give you the inside scoop on what fruits and vegetables are next in-season and good recipes that go with them.
Everyone likes fun – another great reason why to eat with the seasons.
4. It’s better for people around us
Eating with the seasons allows us to support our local community (and our planet) by supporting our local food supply (community food security) and cutting out unnecessary pollution (carbon footprint). Community food security is basically having enough food in the country to support its people. Without food, people can’t live. The best source of food is locally grown. Locally grown food is in-season food. This will also keep money in the local community to keep it thriving.
Second, cut out transport pollution by buying produce locally. This allows us (as humans) to reduce the carbon footprint of transport and storage from interstate and overseas by planes, trains and automobiles (trucks, etc.).
Hence, it’s better for our community and our planet – yet another reason to eat with the seasons.
The season starts now!
It’s time to get in season! Eat with the seasons and you’ll experience better health, more savings and better yet – move away from feeling helpless and become more empowered in your health and fitness actions!
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
- Chek, P. (2009) How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!
- Chopra, D. (1995) Boundless Energy: The complete Mind/Body Program for Overcoming Chronic Fatigue. Three Rivers Press
- Germov, J., Williams, L. (2004) A Sociology of Food & Nutrition: The Social Appetite (2nd Ed.) Oxford.
- Gropper, S., Smith, J., Groff, J. (2005) Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (4th Ed.), Thomson Wadsworth
- Kausman, R. (2004). If not dieting, then what? Allen & Unwin
- Mahan, L. Escott-Stump, S. (2004) Krause’s Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy (11th Ed.) Saunders
- McWilliams, M. (2001) Foods: Experimental Perspectives (4th Ed.) Prentice-Hall
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.