Episode 34 – Two reasons why strength training is the secret
Strength is best! Wanna know why? Read on.
While health professionals and scientists understand the body and its function quite well now, the age-old debate of strength training versus cardiovascular training still continues to rage. So, how do you determine that strength training is the secret?
First off, what’s the measure?
To determine which is best, what is the measure? While both strength training and cardiovascular training offer similar and substantial physiological changes across the board, these are the two factors that put strength training on top.
1. It promotes the natural production of anabolic hormones
Resistance training is an environmental change that forces your body to adapt. It promotes the natural secretion of anabolic hormones such as testosterone and growth hormone among others. Not only do these hormones assist in burning fat, but they also play a role in building lean muscle that further helps burn fat. This is a positively reinforcing cycle that keeps building momentum as you continue to exercise – meaning it gets easier and easier to keep in good shape.
What’s the other reason that strength training is the secret? Continue reading below.
2. Improved bone mineral density
One of the downsides to aging is the loss of calcium and other minerals from your bones.
These minerals are reduced over time and if left unchecked can result in diseases such as osteoporosis or severe problems such as, easily broken bones upon falling. The great thing about resistance training isn’t just about muscle building. It also improves health markers such as bone mineral density. Bone mineral density is particularly important as you age as well as for those who play contact sports. So, the moral of the story here is resistance training is for everyone and all ages, not just for muscle building.
Finally, which is best?
For me, strength training is the secret for body composition changes. It’s the best way to add lean muscle mass while burning fat. But, before you start, check-in with your doctor!
Final note: For the best possible health and fitness results it is highly recommended you use a mix of both resistance training and cardio (although this is a whole another topic).
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
-fitness thank you for the photo
- Chek, P. (2009) How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!
- Cooley, B. (2005) The Genius of Flexibility: The smart way to stretch and strengthen your body. Fireside
- Erhman, J. Gordon, P. Visich, P. Keteyian, S. (2003) Clinical Exercise Physiology. Human Kinetics Publishers, Inc.
- Porth, C. (2002) Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered Health States (6th Ed.) Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins
- Scientific Publishing, Ltd. (no author) (2006) Scientific Publishing’s Anatomy Chart Book. Scientific Publishing Limited
- Sherwood, L.(2004) Human Physiology: From Cells to Systems (5th Ed.) Thomson, Brooks/Cole
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.