Episode 87 – why reflecting on your performance is critical for health
I’m a big fan of taking action!
But what if that action was in the “wrong” direction?
They say that a ship that sails only 1 degree off course can end up hundreds of miles away from their final destination. And this can be the same as you! If you miss the minor detail, you could be headed away from the promised land – your “success.”
And that’s where reflective practice comes in.
What is reflective practice?
Reflective practice is about making micro readjustments – course corrections – on a regular basis so you keep on the right direction.
How do we use reflective practice effectively?
The most important thing is to acknowledge the true outcome of that first step (and every other step) directly after your action.
Have you started reflecting on your performance? Read on below to find out how.
1. Was it the outcome you thought it would be? If not, why not?
2. Are you closer or further away from your goals? If it wasn’t what you expected, then it’s a good time to make some adjustments asap.
If you feel you’ve headed in the “wrong” direction, here are some questions to help you make some adjustments:
- Do you have to look after yourself first, and maybe cut back on something like social, excessive internet use, etc?
- Is it a decision making thing to improve on before you take on the commitment, ie. did you not think about the consequences thoroughly enough?
- Maybe you’re trying to do too much at the same time aka juggling too many things? Meaning this action is important – but not for right now – and so, do we have to make a temporary sacrifice?
- Extending on that, maybe it’s a focus issue, you missed a few pieces of the puzzle and thus ended up heading the “wrong” way for a moment.
Whatever it may be, take it as a temporary setback, reset, then set sail again.
The promised land awaits – all it takes is a little bit of reflecting on your performance.
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
Photo by Ben White on Unsplash
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.