Episode 133 – 3 weird sweet tooth habits of healthy people
I’ve always enjoyed having a sweet tooth!
I remember the first lollies (candies) I was ever given was from my grandparents. Nan and Pop used to love barley sugars and caramel toffees.
Whenever we’d go over to their place they would bring out the lolly jar and get us all hyped up on sugary goodness. Haha. Good memories.
But it didn’t stop there.
As I grew up, I later found it was ingrained in our culture – for sporting events I had gummy bears or snakes before the games, at school I used to get rewarded for good behaviour with jelly beans, kids parties had the lolly bags full of snakes, red frogs, milk bottles and choc buds…
No wonder I still enjoy lollies!
And this isn’t a problem in moderation.
But what happens if you let it go overboard?
This is not always healthy – particularly if you’re trying to lose weight or even stabilise your energy levels throughout the day.
So what three food or food-like substances can you use to fulfill that craving for sweetness but not blow the calorie and energy levels out of proportion?
Want to know the weird sweet tooth habits of healthy people? Read on below.
- The first one is stevia which is a really nice herb plant (believe it or not) that has pleasant mild sweetness to it. It looks a little like mint but has a satisfying sweetness to it.
- The second one to use is artificial sweeteners. Now don’t get me wrong, I personally wouldn’t use them and actively go out of my way to not use them but, if you’re not worried about the potential side effects of artificial sweeteners and you just want the flavour without the calories then these may be for you.
- The third healthy habit is to retrain your tongue. Try this: eliminate or remove soft drinks, lollies, candies, biscuits and other packaged snacks from your diet for a minimum of 16 weeks to help train your tongue palate acuity overtime – essentially signaling to your tongue to reset it’s sweetness levels back to normal.
Note: the tongue replaces the taste buds cells quite regularly so the old tastebuds will die and will be replaced with new taste buds.
- You can also swap your sugar intake quality by adding fruits or fruit juices instead – particularly in foods such as breakfast bowls, tea, and coffee, smoothies and shakes.
Need extra help?
- My PURITY Protocol is an amazing resource packed with 6 secrets to detox your life and supercharge your energy. It’s my personal wellbeing philosophy. Check it out here.
- The First Five Fitness program is a complete 35 day guide to nutrition, mindset, and fitness for beginners and intermediates AND it only takes five minutes blocks to start. Click here for details.
- Don’t know what or how to cook and prepare food?! Check out My Meals & Recipes book here. It’s packed with loads of practical, healthy and simple to make breakfast, lunch, dinner options as well as snacks and drinks.
- Want live coaching? Click here to contact me. I look forward to working with you soon.
Photo by Edgar Chaparro on Unsplash
Chris Everingham lives and breathes health & fitness.
Hi, I’m Chris Everingham.
I’m sharing the holistic performance secrets that I both personally used to overcome racial scrutiny, escape poverty and depression, AND taught others so that they too could bring proven success and happiness into their lives.
Learn more about my time competing in international sports, in front of media and speaking with live audiences of thousands of people to discover my high performance secrets. Click here to grow your mindset, rewire your habits and transform your life.